I have written before that the standard of business presentations is pretty poor. In fact the three characteristics of most business presentations are predictability, too much information and Death by PowerPoint. I wonder how much time is wasted in meetings and events listening (or even sleeping) to dull, irrelevant and mind-numbing presentations? By the way I am not suggesting that presentations are worthless. Far from it. A well-designed, exceptionally delivered presentation has immense power to persuade, influence and impact on what and why people do things. It is just that these well-designed and exceptionally delivered presentations are few and far between.
Have you ever heard anyone say this about a presentation?
- That should have been longer
- That was too easy to understand
- I needed to see ten more slides
- Why weren’t there more words on the slides?
- Oh how I long for more numbers and statistics!
- I think there should be seven more presentations packed into this conference
- He was too well prepared
- Her enthusiasm put me off
- My time is not important
- They made this subject too enjoyable
No – me neither…
What are your thoughts? Can you add some more to my list of 10? Why do you think business presentations are often ineffective? Comment below and let me know. And if you have any questions or want to know how Catherine can help you with your presentations (or your organisation) then call on 07946604859 or email on Catherine@catherinesandland.com